My little guy turned 1 (almost three weeks ago - yikes!). Yay! I'm late in posting because we've been SO busy. But better late than never, I guess. I have mixed emotions about this birthday, as I'm sure all mothers do. I love watching him grow up. He's such a sweet little thing, and I'm really enjoying seeing his personality bloom. I'm so sad to see him get bigger, though. He's been such a cuddly, lovey baby and I'm going to miss that. I also feel like I didn't really get to enjoy his babyhood as much as I would have liked (or as much as I did with Will). I guess that's the nature of the beast when it comes to 2nd kids. Knowing that he's almost a toddler, though, makes me think about how maybe I should have spent a little more time enjoying him :-( I'm kind of glad this year is over, though. It has been HARD. I always figured that once you had one kid that adding another wouldn't have too much of an impact on your life because you're already in parent mode. I had a lot more time for myself before Charlie was born, though. Part of the problem is Charlie's minimal napping. But bedtime also takes a lot more time in the evenings now that there's two of them, so I hardly have any downtime before I need to get to sleep and start all over again. I have to get up earlier in the morning because it's almost impossible to get myself ready for the day in any kind of efficient manner once both of them are awake.
Charlie has matured a lot in the last month or two. He has three teeth now (his two bottom middle and his top right middle). He's eating a lot of table food, and has gotten really good at picking the little bites up with his fingers and getting them in his mouth. When he first started eating table food he wasn't picky. He'd eat anything I put in front of him. It was great. One of his favorite things to eat were peas. Then he got sick for a week or two and lost his appetite and once he started eating again he was picky all of the sudden. He still eats a most fruit, but I'm having trouble getting the veggies in him. And without many teeth meat is a challenge.
I haven't really started weaning him. We're cutting back (he's really down to only his morning feeding and nighttime now), but he still wants to nurse sometimes in the afternoon when he's cranky. Id did start him on whole milk a few weeks ago and in the last week or so he's really gotten the hang of the sippy cup, so we're moving in the right direction. I just want to make sure he's getting enough liquids other than breastmilk before we cut it out. He's just a lot more immature than Will was a this stage and I don't want to push him. I'm going to work on it in the next month or two.
He's talking a little bit. He says a few words, but they're not consistent. His three main words are:
Uh-oh (when he drops something - it's really cute to hear him say it)
Yay (he applauds himself for everything)
Eye (he likes to point at my eye and say it)
He says "da da" and "mama", but not really in the right context, which is kind of odd.
He's starting to stand a bit more, but still isn't pulling himself up. He seems to have no interest in doing anything but his crazy monkey scoot.
He went through a 2 month phase where he wasn't sleeping very well AT ALL. Up several times a night. Not going back to sleep after he woke up, etc. The last two weeks or so have been better, though, and he's back to sleeping through 75% of the time or so. Naps are hit or miss. Some days he takes two naps without a fight (although they're usually no longer than 45 minutes, and that's on a good day) and others he'll only take one and/or requires rocking or holding in order to sleep at all.
He's getting better about his stranger danger issues, though, so that's good. He's enjoying people other than me (like getting excited to see my mom). He's even letting some other people hold him... sometimes.
The babysitter that we've had since he was 3 months quit a month or so ago so we have a new girl now. She's doing ok, but she's a little immature (she's only 18) and I think she kind of lets Will run the show, which I don't like. Charlie seems to like her, though, so at least that's not an issue. She's leaving for boot camp in February, though, so I'm still on the hunt for someone else.
Here's some pictures of the little man
And here's a video of him doing his favorite thing: playing with pots and pans. I think he's destined to be a percussionist.
No comments:
Post a Comment